The conference will be held on April 8 and 9 at Southern Connecticut State University.
Registration opens on Friday April 8 at 12 noon. The first workshop will begin at 12:15 p.m. at the Adanti Student Center on Crescent Street.
Parking on Friday is available in the Wintergreen Parking Garage on Wintergreen Avenue (#38 on campus map).
12 noon: Registration opens
12:15 – 1:30 p.m.
1:45 – 3 p.m.
- Covering the food and beverage industries
- College athletes, coaches, SIDs and the press
- Safe zones, student media and speech
3:15 – 4:30 p.m.
4:30 – 5 p.m.
Saturday registration opens at 8:30 a.m. The SPJ Region 1 leaders meeting will begin at 8 a.m. in the Adanti Student Center.
Parking is available in the Wintergreen Parking Garage on Wintergreen Avenue (#38 on campus map).
8 – 9 a.m. : SPJ Region 1 leaders meeting
8:30 a.m.: Registration opens
- Breakfast snacks and coffee will be available at the registration area on the third floor of the Adanti Student Center.
9 – 10:15 a.m.
10:30 – 11:45
- Over there: Localizing stories of WWI
- The craft of writing about beer, wine and spirits
- Music, movies and more: How to cover the best entertainment stories
12 – 1:30 p.m.: Lunch and awards
- Buffet lunch of hot chicken, pasta, vegetables, salads , dessert (conference name badge required for entry)
- Keynote speaker John Dahl, vice president and executive producer for ESPN Films and Original Content.
- Mark of Excellence Awards
- Region 1 Auction
1:45 – 3 p.m.
- Finding your niche: Writing for specialized publications
- Journalism on target: reporting on guns and gun issues with accuracy
- Intellectual property law for journalists
3 – 3:15 p.m.
- Afternoon snack will be available at registration
3:15 – 4:30
- Using Google Trends to improve your stories
- Would you quit over ethics?
- Science on your beat: Asking the right questions and finding the right sources
4:30 – 6 p.m.: Q&A with ESPN Films producer Marquis Daisy
Join ESPN Films producer Marquis Daisy and Hartford Courant sports writer Dom Amore for a roundtable and Q&A at the closing reception of the conference.
New Haven pizza will be served. A conference name badge is required for entry to the event.