To say Cindy Simoneau has made extraordinary contributions and demonstrated outstanding leadership in service to Southern Connecticut State University would be an understatement.
The chair of the Journalism Department, Simoneau is also the coordinator of the university’s drone academy, an adviser to two campus media outlets, as well as a leader on the faculty senate, University Curriculum Forum and chairs council.
For that work, and more, Simoneau was honored by colleagues as the recipient of the 2023 Robert E. Jirsa Service Award, which recognizes a depth and breadth of service to the university.
Simoneau was one of more than a dozen faculty members recognized at the Celebration of Excellence held on Friday, Oct. 6 at the Adanti Student Center Ballroom.
The Jirsa Award has been given out since 2012, honoring one faculty member each year. Awardees are nominated by their colleagues, and submit a portfolio of work to a committee of faculty for review. Simoneau’s portfolio included details about her many roles on campus, and several letters of support from faculty and students.
Her service commitments include:
- Journalism Department chair
- Drone Academy coordinator
- Public Relations minor and Drone Applications minor adviser
- Council of Academic Chairpersons, co-chair
- Faculty Leadership Council, member
- Faculty Senate, treasurer and Journalism Department representative
- University Budget & Planning Committee, member
- Undergraduate Curriculum Forum, member, past chair, parliamentarian
- Crescent magazine founder and adviser
- Southern News co-adviser
- Southern Media Board, member
- Journalism Scholarship Committee, chair
In addition to the service award, the Celebration of Excellence included awards for outstanding teaching, research and advising.